Basically everything on the outside of your store is free game. Produce, Meats, Dairy. There is a lot inside the aisles that work great too!! Favorites of ours are whole wheat flours, quinoa, beans, frozen fruit and veggies (no sugar or sauces added). Etc...If you want help making the transition feel free to comment your questions and I will write another article on it! I have also started doing a little meal planning and prepping to help me keep to my portions and be less likely to want to go out and get junk food.
So back to the point of this blog. The kids and I were wanting something sort of sweet, but super tasty!! So we found this recipe for Healthy Banana Bread and its AMAZING!! So I thought I would share!!! No white sugar added, honey instead. And Greek yogurt replaces milk!! As well as we used whole wheat flour!! Looks and tastes just as amazing!!
|Photo and recipe from: http://gimmedelicious.com/2017/01/11/healthy-moist-banana-bread/|
Healthy Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 55 mins Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Serves: 1 loaf
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
• ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
• ¼ cup milk or Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 medium bananas)
• 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped walnuts, raisins), optional
1. Pre-heat oven to 325F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, honey, milk and vanilla for 2 minutes. Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and chocolate chips (or any other add ins of choice.
4. Pour batter into greased pan, sprinkle with some more cinnamon, raw sugar, or banana slices (optional) Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!
I only share with you awesome new recipes that make it into my personal recipe book!! Something I will keep with me until I am old, and pass on to Kyra!!