Saturday, February 1, 2014

Book Review: Windows in the Loft

Would you look at that, its February!! So how is everyone doing on their resolutions this year so far? I'm pretty sure some statistic somewhere probably says something about people quitting most of them by now....but don't quote me. As you read earlier this year I had quite the list. I am happy to say that I have been keeping up with MOST of them. I have dropped one as its time consuming and I just never plan far enough ahead to keep up with it. I will not being trying to do a new recipe a week. I am going to maybe do one a month, but not really too concerned about sticking to that one. I also improvised the 365 project down to 52 week project again. And I am currently attempting to think of something cute for the 4th week. Other than that I have been on the ball.

With that being said, one of my goals was to read a book a month. And surprisingly I have managed to finish almost 2 already!! And I thought what better way to check them off my list than to do a quick review and rating of them as I go!

Windows in the Loft by Sally Gerard.

Twelve year old Isa knows horses. She's grown up with them on her family farm. When her mother dies soon after her father, Isa is left in the care of her family's farmhand, Frank. But Frank isn't the man Isa's mother thought him to be. He has his own agenda for the farm and young Isa.
One peaceful morning turned into something unexpected when she encountered Captain Bane Lucas from the Space Alliance who was looking for a good horse. Intrigued by Isa's profound equestrian knowledge, Captain Lucas opens her eyes to new possibilities of traveling in space.

While the stars offer hope and a new way of life for young Isa and a way to escape her oppressor, Frank, the farm is all that remains of her family. Can Isa leave her home planet and beloved horses to explore a completely different world or will she stay on her family farm where so many of her memories remain?

Isa's courage and faith are tested as her decision forces her to discover herself anew.(the description from Amazon)


I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed reading this book and the twist of horses with sci-fi was something I had never seen before and it really made it feel like a very fresh story. The entire time I was ready this book it was like I was living the story, I could picture everything that Isa was doing and loved all the characters she met along the way. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves horses as much as I do, you will fall in love with Isa and all the horses she works with along the way!! I can't wait for the sequel that this story leads up to, it is gonna be a good one. The only thing about this book that bugged me is I felt the ending 1/4 of the book seemed to be rushed and lost a lot of description that had been so detailed throughout the first chunk of the book. But it wasn't something that would keep me from bragging on picking a great choice for my first book of 2014!!

Fun fact: Sally Gerard has known me most of my life and has been a mentor to me. We worked together at a horse camp in Colorado, I was surprised when she wrote this book, and our relationship in no way biases how I feel about this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment