Sunday, November 24, 2013

Taking a step back.

           So I have had some heartfelt conversations with friends and family lately about the sentiment of actually spending time and writing to each other. It shows how much you appreciate each other. Facebook and email has made it so easy to just write what you are feeling at the moment and not really put your heart into it. Letter writing is non existent anymore. And I want to change this. My grandparents are not really connected to the internet and I feel like being so far away I rarely update them on what is going on in my life. So I have decided starting this Holiday season and for the next year I want to write to them as often as possible. Tell them about our great adventures, and just reconnect.

          Along with my grandparents a part of the military life is making friends and slowly slipping away from each others daily lives when you pcs. Yes you are still able to see pictures and anything they share on Facebook. But not everything is shared and you slowly realize no matter what you do they are distant friends in no time. So I have decided I am going to start writing to a few of them and try to stay more connected! I always had pen-pals in elementary and middle school and the joy of hearing from a friend by post is a feeling you can't replace. I plan to spend 2-3 hours a week writing letters, exchanging stories, and sending pictures to my friends and family. I want to take this step back and really connect with people.

        Just today I wrote my first letter to my Grandfather. I cried the entire time I wrote it because the holidays used to always be spent with my grandparents and this year one wont be here to share the joy with and I know he is going to be so lonely with out her there. I wish so much I could be there with him this Christmas. But I hope my letters, Christmas card, and another big shipment of pictures will help to keep him company.

No comments:

Post a Comment